In this article, we have reviewed various indoor TV aerials in the UK to arrive at our 2016 list of the top 4 best indoor TV aerials for Freeview and/or DAB. In the UK, you need an outdoor or indoor TV aerial to receive free channels from Freeview.
If you have a weak signal, you must find out how far the transmitter is from your location. If it’s within 15 miles from your location, usually an indoor TV aerial will suffice. If it’s up to 30 miles away, you will need to mount an outdoor aerial. There are other options like Freesat or Youview as alternatives to Freeview.
What is Freeview Service?
Freeview refers to the name of the United Kingdom’s digital terrestrial television service. The service delivers content to viewers through an aerial. The service is available on televisions, personal video recorders (PVRs), and set-top boxes.
Freeview services provide the United Kingdom’s most popular radio and Television channels for free without any monthly bills. You only pay once for the Freeview box (HD or SD) or for a TV that has built-in Freeview.
Freeview service happens to be a great choice if you are on a tight budget and you do not want to be tied into a subscription package. However, the service does not have the choice of pat-TV services from Virgin and Sky Media, or even the subscription-free satellite television alternative, popularly referred to as Freesat.
You can access Freeview services on a wide range of devices, video recorders included.
The Differences Between Freeview And Freesat
Freesat and Freeview users both have access to free digital channels without having to pay a monthly fee or having to sign up to a specified contract. The differences in these two services are in the delivery.
Freesat is delivered through satellite, which means you need a dish and a set top box/TV with built-in Freesat.
Freeview, on the other hand, is delivered through transmitters which means you require an aerial with a set-top box/TV with built-in Freeview.
The method of delivery has several consequences for the users of these two services in the following areas:
The main difference is in regards to the coverage. The manner in which Freesat broadcasts means that its coverage is total.
On the other hand, Freeview may be available to approximately 98% of the United Kingdom, but those who have poor signals, for instance, those in the 15% of the households which can only get 15 core channels- will be better off with just Freesat.
If you are unsure of the coverage of your locality, you should find out what services are they likely to access with Freeview.
The installation of a satellite dish is expensive. Those who do not have a dish will have to install it at a cost of approximately £80. The user must expect to add a sum of at least £30 to that cost for Freesat+ and due to the need for additional connections and cables.
Individuals who already have a dish, for example, former Sky customers, will still have to purchase a new Freesat-specific box, but it is simply a case of swapping the cables across. The basic Freesat set-top boxes go for approximately £44.
Freeview requires an extra traditional aerial, and either a set-top box or a TV that is Freeview-enabled. The basic boxes can go for as little as £20.
The number of channels that can be viewed on Freeview is increasing steadily. More than 70 channels are now available with at least 12 in HD. Additionally, there are more than 20 radio stations offered.
Compare that to Freesat where you get over 200 channels and an equal number of HD channels.
Individuals who choose the Smart version of Freesat- known as Freesat with Freetime, will get access to a wide range of digital terrestrial catch-up television services and on-demand content which might otherwise only be viewed through a pay TV provider.
Does Everyone need an Aerial for Freeview?
TV signal strength can vary in diverse portions of the country from rural to city depending on where the transmitters are located, and the physical surroundings which can obstruct the signal.
Of the over 70 Freeview channels, approximately 15 require a license fee for viewing (UK citizens pay this as TV licensing fee annually). Others are commercial channels may or may not have invested to spread their coverage past local relay transmitters. You can check which Freeview channels are available in your area.
Indoor aerials can be used to boost signals and get the best reception. The indoor aerials are used placed on top or beside the TV where signals are strong enough to overcome the limitations of the antenna. Outdoor aerials are also recommended for Freeview boxes and TVs as they are reliable.
Where to Purchase an Indoor TV Aerial
If you are planning to buy an indoor TV aerial, you can check out the offers offered on the sites. Just click on the link and review the product to see if it suits your needs and budgets.
The links are as follows:
How to Install and Check an Indoor TV Aerial?
- Plug the aerial cable into the back of the set-top box or television that you are going to use. Some of the aerials are omnidirectional, this means that you do not have to align them to match the position of your local transmitter. However, most will require that you position them in either vertical or horizontal alignment.
- Now switch your television to a Freeview channel, for instance, BBC One.
- Now slowly and carefully start moving your indoor aerial around to get a good reception.
- To check whether you have a full reception, just tune to QVC, Yesterday, Dave, One HD, ITV, and BBC One (each channel is on a completely different multiplex).
- Getting the ideal position for your indoor aerial is important in acquiring a good, sustained television reception, and it is therefore recommended to secure it while it is up and running.
Best Indoor TV Aerials for Freeview
- Complete with 12 volts DC power supply.
- Totally adjustable elements.
- Appropriate for both the digital and Analog Radio/TV signals
- Built-in amplifier with adjustable gain for optimal performance.
- High-performance adjustable Log periodic indoor Radio/TV aerial.
The aerial provides excellent reception and it is very easy to set it up. Compared to other aerials in the market this is the best value aerial that is both efficient and affordable.
- FULL RECEPTION - Capable of receiving frequencies from 470-790MHz this aerial is perfect for receiving all locally available digital TV signals. Built-in amplifier with adjustable gain control for optimum performance
- 4G FILTER - Integrated 4G filter removes interference and channel loss from your TV caused by 4G mobile phone signals
- EASY ASSEMBLY - Designed for easy assembly with clear instructions included. Log periodic design with fully adjustable elements
- PLUG AND PLAY - After one step assembly simply plug it in and begin to scan for new channels straight away
- BUY WITH CONFIDENCE - SLx are world leaders in AV accessories. We offer high quality products backed with a full 12 month warranty
- Has an adjustable loop aerial that provides the best UHF reception.
- It is the ideal choice for the strong signal area.
- S.M.D. circuit technology design.
- Offers quick and simple ways to install.
With this aerial, you don’t have to pay extremely high monthly satellite or cable bills to enjoy the shows that you love. This aerial can pull in all the local news, sitcoms, weather, sports, and kids programming with no monthly bills or contracts. All you have to do is acquire it, plug it in, and connect your TV, and the aerial will do the rest of the work.
- 【4K FULL HD CHANNELS】This indoor TV aerial lets you save cable costs without missing your favorite HD channels! Search all wireless programs in your area and enjoy many Freeview HD TV channels.This digital tv aerial can receive full HD channels including BBC, NBC, SKY, ITV,FOX and so much more
- 【250 MILES RANGE】Our TV ariels indoor has 250 mile range to access many freeview local uk channels without a cable or satellite subscription. To enjoy the most of your amplified tv aerial we recommend you to place it high on a window without any magnetic objects around; Before you buy it please check the available channels of your area at the official uk freeview website
- 【SIGNAL AMPLIFIER & 13FT LONG CABLE】The amplified digital tv aerial indoor comes with a signal booster and 13ft long cable which makes it easier for you to place the tv aerial in your house to get the best reception, especially for customers whose televisions are not near windows; It's very important to adjust its position and orientation to achieve the best signal reception
- 【EASY TO INSTALL】Setting up this smart tv antenna can be very easy; You can install it in seconds.Just Unwrap, Plug it in, place it in a good reception spot and start scanning for new channels. In order to get the strongest signal, you can try rotating the tv aerial slightly or repositioning it
- 【ULTRA THIN DESIGN】This ultra-thin TV Ariels is a type of TV antenna that is discreet and slim, making it easy to install and blend into your living space; Ultra thin design but high performance will improve the signal of your TV
- It is light and thus can be placed almost anywhere and power is not really needed.
- It is easy to set it up.
- It is Omni-directional.
The aerial is magnificent. If you work in an area where TV reception is poor, this is the perfect device that you need. Just place the aerial on your window and connect it to the TV and let it do its magic. The aerial is very easy to install and the instructions provided in the manual will guide you every step of the way.
- ●【2023 Upgraded Amplifier Signal TV Aerial】 TV aerial adopt upgraded Amplifier signal booster, super distance reception, make the TV aerial reach up to max 120 miles range, enabling more free TV programming with enhanced gain and range. USB powered and connected TV, split amplifier design with 14.5 ft Coax Cable.
- ●【Full 1080P HD TV & Sound Quality TV Aerial】 Built-in smart IC chip next generation and clear technology. The new technology cellular and FM signals result in a clearer picture with high-performance environmentally friendly flame-retardant PC material with good flexibility, low noise and access to more free broadcast TV signals with frequency performance.
- ●【Easy Install & Use】Double-sided adhesive sticker design on the back, 4.4m high-performance coaxial cable, flexible placement. Free universal adapter can be connected to the interface of any TV or digital set-top box to meet your needs. just connect it to your television,set the TV to antenna mode and scan for channels.
- ●【Enjoy Free Channels】HD TV aerial can receive FULL HD Channels like BBC, ITV1, ITV2, ITV3, ITV4, CITV, Film4, Channel4, NBC, TVGuide, Fox and SO MUCH MORE. With amplified tv aerial start to access all of the news, sitcoms, kids, and sports programs! 【NOTE: If the signal at your location is poor, CHANNEL will also be affected.】
- ●【Warm Tips 】【1】If you have any dissatisfaction with the TV Antenna, please feel free to contact us.【2】Visit the website 'TV Fool'' or ''dtv.gov/maps'' to find out which channels are available in your area.If you can't receive any channel, please refund directly.【3】Please try patiently and refer to the reviews for successfully receiving signals.【4】Please refer to the manual included in the package or contact us.
- Both side transparent for easy positioning on window
- It is easy to set it up and no power supply required.
- It is Omni-directional.
Known for its excellent reception with an incredibly thin compared to other aerials. The aerial is very easy to install and the instructions provided in the manual will guide you every step of the way.
- ✔️ 【LIFETIME FREE 4K & HD CHANNELS】With our 2023 upgraded TV aerial, say goodbye to huge TV bills forever. Our HD TV aerial can receive the most popular full HD Channels like BBC One, BBC Two, ITV, STV, UTV, Channel 4, Channel 5, ITV2, BBC Four, ITV3, E4, Film4, ITV4, BBC News, NBC and so much more according to your location. Just connect it to your television, find the best signal spot and search, enjoy HD TV shows right now!
- ✔️ 【250+ MILES LONG RANGE & CRYSTAL-CLEAR TV】Our digital smart TV aerial adopt a powerful 25dBi gain amplifier signal booster with built-in next-generation smart IC chip to make it stable to receive TV signal within 250+ miles. With the new Crystal-Clear technology, it can filter out cellular and FM signals resulting in clearer picture, low noise and HD sound quality. Enjoy true HD, 1080p, 4k shows. (Amplifier Gain: 25dBi, Noise figure: ≤3dB)
- ✔️【STYLISH ULTRA-THIN DESIGN & 17FT COAXIAL CABLE】Ultra-Thin, lightweight and stylish design with 17ft perfect length of high-quality coaxial cable make it easier to place the TV aerial where the signal is best received in your house. Whether in the bedroom, living room or in the kitchen, dining room, we can all easily find the best place and enjoy free High-Definition TV programs.
- ✔️【EASY TO INSTALLATION】Place the TV aerial where the signal is best received in your house, connect TV Aerial to "ANT/IN" connector on the back of any HDTV, connect the USB cable to any powered USB port, scan channels by selecting 'Menu' then 'Channel Search' and enjoy free HD TV shows.
- ✔️【100% SATISFACTION & PROFESSIONAL SERVICE】If you have problem with our product, please feel free to contact us, we will reply you within 24 hours and provide a replacement or full refund. Tellegante is committed to providing each customer with the best quality product and the most enthusiastic service, official customer service e-mail: [email protected].
- Cut the cable and get access to FREE HD programs forever including local news, weather forecast and educational programs etc. Enjoy crystal clear HDTV shows
- The amplifier boosts the antenna with better signal and butterfly pattern optimizes reception. Working frequency: VHF174-240MHz, UHF 470-862MHz.
- Come with a 10-feet coaxial cable making it easy to install the antenna near the best possible signal reception area via the website: dtv.gov/maps; antennaweb.org.
- The paper-thin design makes it easier to be placed on anywhere including flat or curved area, wall or window glass (highly recommended).
- Installation is a breeze with only 3 steps: unwrap, plug it and scan channels.
The aerial is very simple to connect to the TV. It just plugs into your coaxial input, after which you can initiate the automatic scan. Within a minute or two you will have all the signals that your main television receives.
The quality of the picture with this aerial is excellent and the fact that it is very affordable makes it even more attractive.
- 📺[ Lifetime Free 4K & HD Channels ] - With Tellegante newest HD TV aerial, no more needs to pay a huge bill on TV. Our amplified indoor TV aerial can receive FULL HD Channels like BBC One, BBC Two, ITV, STV, UTV, Channel 4, Channel 5, ITV2, BBC Four, ITV3, E4, Film4, ITV4, BBC News, NBC and so much more according to your location. Just connect it to your television, find the best signal spot and retune, and enjoy HD TV shows Right Now!
- 📡[ Over 250 Miles Long Range & Crystal-Clear TV ] – Our smart TV aerial adopt a powerful 25dBi gain amplifier signal booster with built-in next-generation smart IC chip to make it stable to receive TV signal within 250+ miles. With the new Crystal-Clear technology, it can filter out cellular and FM signals resulting in clearer picture, low noise and HD sound quality. Enjoy true HD, 1080p, 4k shows. (Amplifier Gain: 25dBi, Noise figure: ≤3dB)
- ✔[ Small Stylish Ultra-thin Design & 13FT Coaxial Cable ] – Ultra-Thin, lightweight, small and stylish design with 13ft perfect length of high-quality coaxial cable make it easier to place it in a position with the best signal reception. Whether in the bedroom, living room or in the kitchen, dining room, we can all easily find the best place and enjoy our favorite TV shows.
- 🔧[ Easy Install ] - Place the amplifier HD TV Aerial in a position with the best reception in your house, connect TV Aerial to "ANT/IN" connector on the back of any HDTV, connect the USB cable to any USB port to provide power to the booster, scan channels by selecting 'Menu' then 'Channel Search' and enjoy free HD TV shows.
- 💌[ 100% Satisfaction & Professional Service ] - If you have problem with our product, please feel free to contact us, we will reply you within 24 hours and provide a replacement or full refund. Tellegante is committed to providing each customer with the best quality product and the most enthusiastic service, official customer service e-mail: [email protected].