Welcome to the ultimate guide to the best Smart TV apps! In this comprehensive review, we delve into the top-rated applications available on popular Smart TV brands like Samsung, LG, Sony, and others. With an ever-expanding world of digital entertainment and innovative features, these apps have transformed the way we consume content on our televisions.
From streaming services and gaming platforms to productivity tools and lifestyle apps, we explore the diverse offerings that enhance your viewing experience. Join us as we navigate through the finest Smart TV apps of 2023, providing you with the ultimate entertainment and convenience right at your fingertips.
Most Popular Smart TV Platforms and their Apps in 2023
What are Smart TV Apps?
A smart TV is a digital television which is internet enabled and is mainly used for entertainment. Smart TVs are manufactured with inbuilt functionalities, however, normal TVs can also be made smart through the use of set-top boxes with advanced features.
For internet connectivity, smart TVs use Ethernet or WiFi. To transfer media to the smart TVs, Bluetooth and memory cards are used.
- Your TV becomes connected thanks to the LEAP-S1 Mutlimedia ANDROID TV 10.0 4K Ultra HD box: A resolution of up to 3840 x 2160 pixels and HDR functionality for breath-taking image quality, and immersive sound with Dolby Digital Plus. You can even stream content from your smartphone or tablet to your TV using built in chrome cast technology.
- Download and enjoy your favourite apps from the Google Play Store, including Netflix, Amazon Prime, Disney+, and Youtube. 𝗣𝗹𝗲𝗮𝘀𝗲 𝗻𝗼𝘁𝗲 𝘁𝗵𝗮𝘁 𝘁𝗵𝗶𝘀 𝗶𝘀 𝗻𝗼𝘁 𝗮 𝗹𝗶𝘃𝗲 𝗧𝗩 𝗯𝗿𝗼𝗮𝗱𝗰𝗮𝘀𝘁 𝗱𝗲𝘃𝗶𝗰𝗲.
- Easy Internet connection via dual band Wi-Fi 5 or built-in LAN (10/100 fast Ethernet port also onboard). Connect Bluetooth devices such as speakers, sound bar, headphones, keyboards etc. The 2 USB ports allow you to connect 2 accessories at the same time (keyboard, gamepad, camera, USB key, HDD¡).
- The Bluetooth remote control with Google Assistant with integrated voice recognition allows you to search the internet quickly. Shortcuts on the remote give you direct access to your NETFLIX and PRIME Video apps.
- Connectivity: HDMI, AV, 1x USB 2.0, 1x USB 3.0, LAN, IR expansion port, 12V / 1A DC power adapter, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth. Compact case: 11 cm x 11 cm x 2 cm. Package includes: LEAP-S1 Android box, a remote control with Google voice assistant, 2 supplied AAA batteries, an HDMI cable and a power adapter. Product guaranteed for 24 months.
- Support for Wi-Fi 6: enjoy smoother 4K streaming across multiple Wi-Fi 6 devices.
- Cinematic experience: watch in vibrant 4K Ultra HD with support for Dolby Vision, HDR, HDR10+ and immersive Dolby Atmos audio.
- Endless entertainment: stream hundreds of thousands of films and TV episodes from BBC iPlayer, Netflix, Prime Video, Now, Disney+ and more, plus listen to millions of songs. Subscription fees may apply.
- Live and free TV: watch live TV, news and sport with subscriptions to BT Sport, Sky News, Eurosport, and more. Stream for free with ITVX, All 4, PlutoTV, YouTube, Freevee and more.
- Alexa Voice Remote: search and launch content with your voice. Get to favourite apps quickly with preset buttons. Control power and volume with one remote.
For proper and user-enhanced entertainment, smart TVs come with smart TVs apps that offer the user with different possibilities to be able to access different media.Some of the apps that can be accessed by using the smart TVs are Netflix, Pandora, Skype, YouTube, Plex, Spotify and many more.
Popular brands that manufacture smart TVs are LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Sony, Toshiba and Philips.
Best Smart TV Apps according to top Brands
LG Smart TV runs on WebOS technology. The remote offers point and click, making menu navigation easy. The WebOS platform is attractive to the eye and provides an easy user interface.
The TV offers easy USB playback due to the fast operating system it runs on. Opening photos and videos is seamless and they run without delaying or stuttering.
For web browsing, the load speeds are fast and takes a maximum of thirty seconds for the heavy web pages (on fast broadband connections).
The remote control also comes with an internal microphone that makes it possible to use voice-based commands. The smart TV also comes packaged with a remote control system that has the ability to control other systems in the house such as home theatres.
Gesture controls can also be used to operate this smart TV due to the inbuilt cameras.
- Sharp HD viewing with intelligent processor for a vibrant picture
- Immersive sound quality with AI Sound
- webOS smart platform with Freeview Play, Netflix, Disney+ and more
- Superb movie experience with HDR
- Enhance your gaming experience with built in Game Optimiser
Samsung smart TV uses the Tizen OS platform. This OS interface monitors your viewing activity and suggests other stuff that the user might be interested in. The interface provides a shortcut of frequently used services and apps.
The smart hub pages have been arranged in a way that is easy to access. They are grouped into Samsung apps, multimedia, films and TVs show and a games hub page. Each of the hub pages gives further options and subcategories giving the user more content.
With the Tizen operating system, the user can also do some customization on the interface by juggling around with the icons.
The smart TV offers almost all UK TV apps such as Netflix, YouTube, Amazon instant, demand 5, BBC Iplayer, iTV player and 4OD. For a detailed list of the latest apps available and for support, go to Samsung Smart Hub.
For the TV control, Samsung offers Wii-like control which can use gestures. The remote control comes with voice recognition abilities. The Samsung smart TV comes with a built-in camera, that is advanced providing clear images during Skype calls. Samsung smart TVs use the anynet+ technology. Samsung smart TVs come with built-in WiFi allowing you to access the internet with ease.
These TVs also come with mobile high definition link which allows the user to connect HDTVs to tablets and smartphones. For video-on-demand content, Samsung provides a whole range to choose from and comes in HD and 4k/UHD quality.
The inbuilt web browser runs on the HTML5 platform making it easy to load practically all web pages.
- Stunning 4K QLED Visuals With Dual LED & Quantum HDR - Powered by Quantum Dot, our QLED 4K TV delivers over a billion colour shades for a vibrant image. Dual LED provides bold contrast with true to life colour and Quantum HDR improves brightness.
- Immersive Audio That Suits Your Space - With Adaptive Sound and Object Tracking Sound, our Samsung QLED TV offers cinema style audio that adapts to what you are watching & puts you in the action. Add a Samsung Soundbar for harmonious Q-Symphony too.
- Console Free Gaming & Smart TV Streaming Built In - More than just a television, our Samsung QLED TV has a built in Gaming TV Hub for console free gaming, just connect a controller! With Samsung TV Hub, access BBC iplayer, Netflix, Prime Video & many more.
- Easy To Connect, Control & Communicate - Our Samsung QLED 4K Smart TV comes with Alexa and other voice apps built in as well as multi-view, and video call apps for easy communication. Also, connect your way with Bluetooth, WiFi and HDMI ports.
- Always Remember To Check The Label - Does your box say Q60C on it? Not to worry, the Q65C Smart 4K TV belongs the Q60C class of TVs as an advanced model! They use the same style of box, but the Q65C is a different TV. Check the Amazon Label.
Panasonic re-designed their online system to Mozilla’s Firefox system particularly designed for TV.
The key features for the new Panasonic smart TV are its intuitive and customizable home screens which allow getting shortcuts to your home screen with off course wide variety of Apps such Netflix, Amazon Instant, Accuweather, FreeviewPlay, etc. Another feature of Firefox TV is the Info Frame (clicking on the Home button) brings up four colour bar and text-based links giving you easy and quick access to the recently used icons.
Panasonic smart TVs also comes with FreeviewPlay offering an ultra-simple EPG-based interface for accessing on-demand content from key broadcasters.
- ANDROID TV: Get access to all your favourite films, shows, apps and games from Netflix, Amazon Prime, Apple TV, Disney+, Twitch and Google Play with this Panasonic TV with Android built-in.
- GOOGLE ASSISTANT: Control your HD TV with your voice using the built-in Google Assistant, whether asking Google to search for the latest blockbuster, stream shows, or open a multiplayer game.
- CHROMECAST: This Smart TV includes built-in Chromecast support, letting you cast movies, shows, apps and games directly from your phone, tablet or laptop to your TV.
- EASY CONNECTIVITY: This LED TV is equipped with Bluetooth to let you pair your TV with soundbars, headphones or speakers, a USB media player to play games, music, videos and photos, plus Wireless-LAN built-in.
- HDR SUPPORT: This HD TV features HDR (High Dynamic Range) support, including HDR10 and HLG, delivering more realistic colours, as well as higher contrast and brightness levels for the best possible visuals.
The key features of the Sony smart TV are excellent interaction with Android systems, large volumes of apps, 16GB internal storage and Android apps specifically built for TV.
The functionality of the Sony smart TV combines three major elements, Youview, Android TV and Sony personalised discovery channel.
The Android TV offers the user with a highly efficient way of connecting the TV to their Android devices. The Android TV supports Google cast. If the users’ Android device supports NFC functionality, the user can be logged into to the TV by simply touching the NFC sensor in the remote control.
The TV also works perfectly with the Sideview app from Sony.
Although the Android TV does not come with the UK’s biggest broadcasting platforms such as BBC iplayer, demand 5 and iTV player. These apps can be accessed through the Google cast functionality.
The home-grown ‘discovery’ system in the Sony smart TVs is arguably one of the best of such. It provides a great way to interact with broadcast content. For control, the TV uses a normal remote control.
For users on the Apple technology, they can download the IOS Sideview app and use their phones as a remote control. Voice control is also available on the Sony smart TV. With the voice recognition technology, a user can also use voice search to look up for any content online. The Sony Android TV also offers USB playback.
For web browsing, the default browser on Android TV is opera. Users can also download Google chrome depending on their preferences.
- BRAVIA Engine: The power behind amazing pictures
- Live Colour: Beautiful, natural colours in everything you watch on this Sony TV
- USB HDD REC: Turn your television into a digital recorder
- Find all the entertainment you can dream of, as fast as you can talk - With advanced voice control, this Android smart TV lets you enjoy movies and shows from apps such as Netflix and Amazon Prime Video or broadcast in an instant.
- Box Contains: 32W800 TV, Table Top Stand, Voice Remote, Control Batteries, AC Power Cord, Operating Instructions , Quick Setup Guide
Key features of the Toshiba smart TV are multi-media playback through a USB device or internet, double IOS apps, the interface is multi-hub. The multi-hub allows you to access the home hub, screen for premium apps, screen for video and TV and a screen dedicated to other categories.
The TV offers great picture quality for the price it offers and non-reflectivity thus suitable to be used in a room with a lot of light. The smart TV offers Netflix, YouTube.
The refresh rate of this smart TV is 240hz which offers a good interface for users who want to run high-speed games and live sports viewing.
- Our compact LK3C Full HD TV with Alexa built-in is the ideal second screen for the kitchen or bedroom. Whether it’s helping the kids with their homework, looking up recipes or playing your favourite music, simply ask Alexa. The far-field microphone is built into the bezel of the TV for hands-free control.
- With Alexa Home Screen, your idle TV becomes a fully personalised news experience. Stay up to date with weather updates, scores from your favourite sports teams, calendar events and more.
- Step into the action with increased clarity and detail. Micro Dimming improves contrast, focussing on all the different regions of the image and optimising dynamically. Super Resolution upscales a wide variety of non-HD content and delivers a more refined image, enhancing your viewing experience.
- Plus, High Dynamic Range offers better contrast, greater brightness levels and a wider colour palette. Films and TV shows will look more life-like with supported content.
- Combining the latest sound technology of Dolby Audio Processing with enhancements of DTS Virtual X, this compact TV provides a captivating cinema viewing experience whatever you’re watching.
The Phillips TV provides support for more than 50 apps, Netflix, BBC Sport, BBC iPlayer, YouTube and Blinkbox support.
The menu design is a high resolution which is captivating to the user. It comes with four 20 watt speakers which are more than any other speaker system being offered by the other smart TVs.
- Experience an optimized picture quality with sharp images and vivid colors. This 32 inch Full HD TV with LED, Pixel Plus HD and HDR 10 creates beautiful details and deep contrast.
- With this 32 inch smart TV you decide what to watch and when to watch it. Enjoy your favorite apps like Netflix and easily navigate through the clear icon-based menu of the operating system Saphi.
- The 32" TV is especially great for gaming thanks to a less than 20 ms input lag via HDMI. Better refresh rates and enhanced visibility in dark scenes allow you to fully immerse yourself in the game.
- Full-range speakers and the 5 band equalizer of this 32 inch LED TV guarantee a clear audio and crisp dialogue. Wi-Fi, 3xHDMI and 2xUSB ensure a variety of connectivity.
- Included in delivery: Philips 32PFS6805/12 TV 32 inch (80 cm), Remote Control, 2 x AAA Batteries, Power cord, Quick start guide, Legal and safety brochure, Table top stand
The Best Smart TV Apps of 2023
Netflix provides internet streaming media services/ video on demand to over 190 countries (as of 2016). It offers paid subscription services where users can be provided with disc rental services and get access to streaming of internet videos which are available at its online library.
The disc rental service has more movies titles while the internet library provides more Netflix original content.
BBC iPlayer runs on the html5 platform and offers internet catch up television through live streaming. This service is only available to people in the United Kingdom. Apart from smart televisions, this service is also available on mobile phones, personal computers and tablets.
Services available on the platform have to be paid for through a subscription plan. It offers the user the privilege of watching their favorite content whenever they want.
This is a live music streaming that provides different varieties and genres of music. The music library is arranged in a way that is friendly to the user. The user can search music using any keyword from the genre, the artist and the song title.
This music service is only available in the United States of America and New Zealand. Pandora is powered by the music genome project.
The service offers two distinct subscription plans. One is the free version which features advertisements and a plan with fee which does not feature advertisements.
Listeners can listen to music and then choose to buy it from various libraries all over the world.
Amazon Instant Video
Previously known as Amazon prime videos. It offers users with full access to movies and TV shows free from ads. The service is paid for at a lower price per month.
This doesn’t need any introduction! You can now spend more time on updating your status, looking at newsfeed and like/dislike posts – though it comes with some limited features on the TV.
Hulu Plus offers online streaming service providing content such as recently aired TV shows, music videos and movies. Hulu provides two plans. One is free but littered with ads.
The paid version does not feature ads. Premium subscribers get a chance to watch full movie seasons and episodes.
Buy and Sell anything on eBay App with the comfort of your sofa. If you fancy something you liked on a TV show, get to the eBay app straight away and look for your products.
Similar to other internet streaming media service but offer some exclusive movies due to its contract with big Hollywood Studios. This is only available to HBO subscribers.
This is a digital music streaming service that provides millions of music to listeners.
The company is based in Sweden and content is available for listeners in Americas, Australasia and Western Europe. The content provided is covered by digital rights.
The subscription plans are two-tiered. One is free and offers to stream at 192kbs while the paid or premium plan offers to stream at 392kbs.
This is internet television that offers streaming and on-demand content from different sources. These sources include Sky Movies, Skysports, Skysports News, Comedy Central, Disney channel, fox, MTV, on Demand Studios, Discovery Channel and many more.
The content is provided by a subscription service since the user has to purchase the now TV box.
Accuweather provides up to date weather information and forecasting services. Although the online content is free, the services offered to governments and businesses are commercial and paid for.
Blinkbox offers users the opportunity to watch movies and TV shows online. This is a subscription-based service ranging from $1. It offers both purchase and rental of video on-demand content.
TuneIn offers users the chance to listen to online radio music and listen to talk shows. It hosts over 100,000 radio stations and more than four million on podcasts and programs on demand. Listening to music is free.
Users are only charged if they wish to download the music.
Skype is an online calling and messaging service that connects users in different parts of the world. Skype calls are free. The service is available on smartphones, computers, and smart TVs.
Youtube is an online service that gives users the opportunity to listen and download videos and music from different types of content. Youtube is free.
Plex fetches music, videos, and photos from personal libraries, organizes them, and them streams them to smart TVs. The app has to be purchased to be available for use.
Amazon prime is offered by amazon.com. it offers users full access to movies and TV shows free from ads. The service is paid for at $99 per year.
PowerPoint is provided by Microsoft and comes included in the Microsoft office package. It is mainly used for presentation. It is free.
Google Apps – Chrome, Earth, play Services
Google apps are provided by Google and they are available on different platforms such as smartphones, tablets, and smart TVs. These services are free.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Does Samsung Smart TV support Adobe flash player?
- What are the most common audio and video file formats that Smart TVs support?
Answer: In the 2016 range of Smart TVs, most support mkv, DivX, AVI, mp4, flash FLV, and WMV file formats. In case your Smart TV doesn’t support a particular format, usually, you can find free file converters online which you can use to convert your file into a file format that your TV does support.
- What is a Sonos Playbar and Do Samsung Smart TVs work with it?
Answer: Sonos Playbar is a wireless sound system that offers HD quality music. Yes, it works with the latest Samsung Smart TVs.
- What External Media can I connect to a Smart TV?
Answer: You can connect External Hard Drives, USB, and SD cards top most Smart TVs in 2016.
- Do smart TVs have a web browser for the internet/surfing the web?
Answer: Yes, Smart TVs come with inbuilt web browsing functionality. Users can access the Internet using WiFi or Ethernet cables.
- Do Smart TVs need an aerial/converter box/cable/cable box?
Answer: Yes and No! Since smart TVs use internet connectivity, they do not necessarily need an aerial or converter box. These are needed for normal TVs using set-top boxes. Having said that, you may have a set-top box connected to your Smart TV to get extra channels (like the Skybox) and that would work fine as well.
If you have any more questions, please leave a comment below and we’ll try our best to answer. Stay tuned with Top Upminster Technology Venture on TopUpTV.co.uk.
Best Smart TV Apps for Kids
- ‘Read to Me’ and ‘Read by Myself’ options for different reading abilities
- Download a story once and read it anytime, anywhere
- Library including CBeebies favourites and all new stories from familiar authors
- CBeebies Bedtime Stories collection
- Secure parental lock for any external links
BBC iPlayer Kids
The newly released BBC iPlayer Kids is available exclusively for users in the UK. This is a free app that offers shows from CBBC and CBeebies and can be connected to your Chromecast or streamed on your telly via Apple AirPlay.
Within the app, you can create individual profiles for each child. You can also add their unique avatar, name, and age. By setting their age, the app will filter out age-inappropriate content, which is a big plus in terms of parental control.
The shows in BBC iPlayer Kids can be downloaded to the device, which you can view offline within 30 days. There are no ads and in-app purchases, which are safe to use for kids.
- Find featured and most popular programmes
- Explore themed collections
- Catchup on the last 30 days of programmes from the BBC
- Watch BBC exclusives and premieres on the best screen in the house
- English (Publication Language)
For subscribers of Sky TV, Sky Kids is the latest offering of the TV giant in the UK. It’s targeted for kids between ages 3 and 9. The app has tons of cartoons and other entertaining content. And unlike other streaming apps, your child will not stumble into any horror or violent content.
You can also create individual profiles for each child who will use the application. You can now download shows for offline viewing on the app, which is a significant improvement as compared to its initial launched version.
Aside from TV shows, there are also games in the Sky Kids app. There are advertisements on the streaming platform, but Sky assured that the ads would be age-appropriate.
- Factory sealed DVD
- English (Publication Language)
- Audience Rating: NR (Not Rated)
One of the broadest streaming apps for kids is DisneyLife. The platform contains all the classic Disney hits like Duck Tales, Hannah Montana, Kim Possible, and almost all Disney princess movies. DisneyLife is packed with TV shows and movies that will keep your child busy.
DisneyLife also adds their originals from time to time. This TV app is not free, but the subscription fee is very affordable. This platform has a mobile and TV app, so your kids have the option to cast the content to your smart TV or watch on the go on a mobile device.
- Easy interface
- Create individual profile
- Search your cartoons and create your own playlist
- Save your favorite videos
- Easy search tool
With the growing number of kids watching YouTube, there’s a need for a safer and appropriate space for them. This is what YouTube Kids do. It only shows videos suitable for kids, so parents will have peace of mind that their children are not exposed to the problematic nature of YouTube. It returns blank results for searches like ‘smoking’, ‘sex’, ‘porn’, and the likes.
YouTube Kids is free, but there are ads that the company assured would be age-appropriate.
- App for youtube kids
- Youtube Kids video selection
- Safe youtube channels
- Safe youtube videos
- Youtube Kids Videos for ages 0 to 3
If you’re looking for interactive content for your kids, you should try the Nick or Nickelodeon TV app. This is an Emmy-award winning application loaded with videos and content suitable for children. You can also customize the program grid to show videos that you want your child to see.
There are also games within the platform, as well as animated shorts that your child will enjoy. However, for you to use this, you need a cable provider login. Also, it’s not the best option for every young kid or those under four-years-old.