Today, we take a closer look at Philips 65PUS6412 65″ 4K UHD Ambilight Smart TV. This is one of the first TV’s that features the newest lighting technology called Ambilight. This technology aims to enable the viewers to see more picture detail, contrast and colour while eliminating on-screen reflections. As well as enhancing the viewing experience.
Philips 65PUS6412 UHD Ambilight Smart TV
- 4K Ultra HD (3840 x 2160)
- Direct LED Backlight
- IPS Panel Display
- 60Hz Refresh Rate
- 40ms Input Lag Latency
- 900 PPI
- High Dynamic Range Plus
- MediaTek MT5596A SoC
- ARM Cortex-A53 4 Cores 1.1GHz
- ARM Mali-T860 MP2 GPU 2-Cores 700MHz
- 2GB RAM | 16GB Internal
- Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow Operating System
- 2x HDMI™ 2.0 | 2x HDMI 1.4
- 2x USB 2.0
- For more information, visit Philips Website.
The Philips 65PUS6412 features a 4K native resolution, offering amazing detailed picture reproduction. It has more pixels per inch compared to any full HD TVs. Offering deep details per image and amazing video quality especially if you play videos that are already 4K in size.
Philips also equipped this TV with their Pixel Plus Ultra-HD engine. The addition of such technology allows the TV to optimise its picture quality. Delivering smooth and fluid images with incredible detail and depth. As well as brighter whites and blacker blacks.
The inclusion of HDR+ or High Dynamic Range Plus redefines video quality through further enhancing the TV’s contrast and colour. Resulting to brighter highlights, greater contrast, a broader range of colours and detail like never before. And further more, the Philips 65PUS6412 is equipped with IPS panel that uses Direct-LED Panel System. IPS or In-Plane Switching type of display offers superior colour accuracy and contrast to TN type of display panels. It also has a better colour range (gamut).
Lastly, the use of Direct-LED display panel system improves the blackness of an image and brightness as well. With all that being technology, Philipps assures you that your viewing experience with the Philips 65PUS6412 will be extraordinary. To further enhance the viewing experience, the Philips 65PUS6412 comes with Ambilight. Ambilight is a lighting technology by Philips that extends the picture beyond the TV bezels by shining light onto the surrounding wall.
We did watch Guardians of the Galaxy Vol.2 and the viewing experience is far more immersive that we have ever seen. The lights outside the screen bezels are accurately matching the colours that are shown on the edge.
The Philips 65PUS6412 is an amazing TV however, it is not on par with OLED TV. You can barely tell the difference though but this TV lacks the premium features for its SRP such as a premium HDR level that supports a higher bit of colours and an OLED display panel.
In terms of gaming, the Philips 65PUS6412 features a native 60Hz refresh rate and it supports 4K@60Hz. Allowing you to play your video games at an Ultra HD resolution running 60 frames per second if the hardware of your PC or console allows you to do so.
The Philips 65PUS6412 has an average input lag latency of 37ms which can also be seen in most TVs that are 60-inch and above. Nothing fancy but it’s acceptable for none competitive gaming.
The Philips 65PUS6412 is equipped with 2 channel speakers that use 10W of power for each speaker. Overall, it’s just your average type of speakers. It’s not that strong and depending on the content, sometimes the speakers cannot produce the loudness of the audio. Despite having DTS HD Premium Sound technology that aims to preserve the purity of the original audio content, there are times that the audio just feels weak and doesn’t pack a punch.
We highly recommend adding a soundbar to further enhance the audio quality of this TV. Ideally when watching movies or video contents. Check out our review of Sonos Sound System.
It looks like Philips plans to start an innovation or a trend for TV’s in the year 2018 with their Ambilight lighting technology. Which is good for a brand, it just means that they want to further enhance the viewing experience of the consumers and are thinking out of the box.Philips 65PUS6412
For the Philips 65PUS6412, what we like about this TV is that it is a TV that offers a number of picture enhancement features such as 4K Resolution, HDR Plus, Pixel Plus, Local Dimming, and much more. What we did not like about this TV is its pricing. For it’s selling price, we think that you’re better off with other brands that already offers HDR Premium and OLED display panels. Such as the LG OLED55B7V that features WRGB OLED, Premium HDR and support for HLD, and as well as far more powerful speakers.
- Ambilight + Hue
- 4K UHD IPS Display
- Smart System Hardware
- Direct LED Panel
- No Google Play Store for Android System
- The 3-sided Ambilight of the 4K TV makes films and games more immersive. Intelligent LEDs around the screen will project light to the TV's surrounding. The pictue will feel bigger than it is.
- With this Philips TV, contrast, brightness, and colour reflect the director's original intentions. This is made possible by Dolby Vision. Dolby Atmos delivers an impressively good sound.
- Thanks to the P5 Perfect Picture Engine of this 65-inch TV, colours look very vivid and real. HDR 10+ adjusts the brightness levels from frame to frame.
- This Philips Ambilight TV not only comes with Android, it also works with Alexa. Enjoy many films and series and use your voice to control the TV via Alexa-enabled devices like Amazon Echo.
- Included in delivery: Philips 65PUS8545/12 65-inch LED television (2020/2021 model); remote control, batteries, power cord, quick start guide, legal and safety brochure, table top stand