If you’re looking for an affordable 4K Smart TV from Toshiba, then you might want to check their 2017 lineup such as the Toshiba 49U5766DB. It basically offers all the basic features that you can get from a 4K TV except the premium ones such as HDR, IPS, Low Input Lag, etc. Let’s take a closer look at this TV and see if it is worth considering.
- D-LED Display Panel (VA Panel)
- 60Hz Refresh Rate
- 49-Inch Display Panel Size (also available in 55-Inch)
- 3840 x 2160 Native Resolution
- 900 Total Picture Quality Rating
- Dual Core Processor
- 4x HDMI™ 2.0
- 1x USB3.0 + 2x USB2.0
- For more information, visit Toshiba Website.
The Toshiba 49U5766DB 4K Ultra HD Smart TV belongs to the U5766DB TV Series and it is an entry level oriented 4K TV from Toshiba. With that in mind, you shouldn’t expect much from an entry level 4K TV. The Toshiba 49U5766DB doesn’t support HDR contents, you’re basically given all the basic feature that you can get from a 4K TV such as upscaler, 4K native resolution, and the basics.
In terms of picture quality, the Toshiba 49U5766DB is by far a decent performing TV. It uses a direct-led panel that significantly enhances that blackness level of an image by utilizing the distribution of LED behind the display panel. This type of panel is better than edge-lit. Furthermore, the display panel is a VA type panel. This type of display panel provides good viewing angles and are generally better in terms of blacks and contrast when compared to either a TN or IPS panel.
The Toshiba 49U5766DB comes with four HDMI 2.0 ports and a VGA port allowing you to connect either your PC or Console to use it as a gaming monitor.
In terms of gaming, the Toshiba 49U5766DB is not an ideal TV for gaming. Since it generally uses a VA type panel, its input lag time for video games is poor when compared to other 4K TVs from the same price range. So basically, this TV is more of a family-oriented use than a gaming one. But on the side note, it does feature a 60Hz refresh rate giving you a smooth gameplay if you ever intend to use this TV for gaming.
The audio quality of the Toshiba 49U5766DB exceeds our expectation. What surprised us is its built-in subwoofer along with its 2CH speaker that is a speaker box type. Each speaker uses 10W of power thus giving a decent punch in audio production. Furthermore, it supports Dolby® Digital Plus (DD+) and DTS™ Decoder. Giving you the option to enjoy TruSurround by Dolby.
With a selling price that you can surely afford, the Toshiba 49U5766DB is something that is worth looking into if you want a brand new 4K TV but on a budget. Given its price, we aren’t expecting much from it. However, we were hoping to get some premium features or offering for this model but was disappointed.
Overall, the Toshiba 49U5766DB is a great TV and a decent performing one for its price. Although, there are other better options out there. For just a few more, you could get the LG 43UJ630V that already supports and features HDR.
- VA Type Display Panel
- Magnificent Audio Quality
- Poor Gaming Performance
- No HDR Support
- Ticking Noise
- Toshiba’s TRU picture technology provides smooth, upscaled and more detailed viewing whatever you’re watching, TRU Micro Dimming improves contrast, focussing on all the different regions of the image
- Watch 4K HDR content in all its glory, Dolby Vision HDR transforms your TV experience with ultravivid picture quality, when compared to a standard picture, Dolby Vision can deliver colors never before seen, highlights that are up to 40 times brighter, and blacks that are 10 times darker
- Dolby Audio Processing provides an enhanced experience whatever you’re watching, with richer, clearer and more powerful sound
- Controlling your TV with your voice has never been easier, simply connect to either an Echo, Echo Dot or Google Home Mini device – the choice is yours
- From the latest movies and trending music to your favourite boxsets, we've got it all, the top streaming apps including Netflix, YouTube, Prime Video and Freeview Play built in as standard up to date and ready to go