Taking pride on its waterproof and fog-proof build, the Gosky 20-60×80 is yet another scope you shouldn’t miss. Not to be mistaken on its angled version, this straight spotting scope has its own function and features to boast. In this Gosky spotting scope reviews, we’ll take a more in-depth look on its specs, performance, overall build, and value.
The Gosky 20-60×80 is one of the latest scopes in the Gosky line up. It’s poised with sharper images and better focal length that its predecessors. Overall, this Gosky is a blend of classic and modern scopes, with its slew of accessories.
Overall, this is a large scope, sporting an 80 mm objective lens as well as a 1.25 astronomy eyepiece that can look overwhelming for some.
But whether it’s right for you or not, we’re about to find out on this review.
*80 mm objective lens. This offers better low-light performance, brighter images, and consistent magnification.
*Nitrogen-filled body. Thanks to its O-ring seal, this scope is filled with nitrogen to keep it waterproof and fog-proof. You can use this scope even under harsh outdoor conditions.
*Anti-reflection coating. The proprietary Super-Multi-Coating or SMC of Gosky keeps the lens clear, crisp, and bright.
*Locked-in magnification. During cold days, the groove on the eyepiece barrel keeps your preferred magnification in place. This is a big help, especially if you’re busy glassing or observing an animal or object.
*Magnesium alloy body. Although large, the Gosky is lightweight, thanks to its magnesium alloy body. It’s durable and can take the beating of outdoor elements.
*Extra-low dispersion glass. This feature adds clarity and topnotch resolution on the scope.
* JIS Class 6 waterproof. This waterproofing is equivalent to protection against water jets. Water sprayed from all directions shouldn’t cause extensive damages to this scope.
With a focal length of 518 mm, this Gosky spotting scope offers a wide range of magnification. Its exact magnification range depends on the eyepiece you’re going to use. If used with the Pentax 8 mm – 24 mm Zoom Eyepiece, you can achieve a zoom range of 20x-60x with an apparent field of view of 38-60 degrees.
If you want more zoom power, we recommend getting the Gosky XF Zoom Eyepiece (6.5mm-19.5mm) that can reach a magnification of up to 78x. Any 1.25.-inch Gosky spotting scope eyepieces can be used on this scope.
With the 80 mm objective lens, this scope is made for viewing on all light conditions. We also like the SMC coating, which adds a razor-sharp definition to the viewing field. It also boosts the contrast of the subjects.
The only gripe that we have is that this scope doesn’t come with an eyepiece to start with. Nevertheless, it’s an advantage for some who are eyeing a specific eyepiece unit to use.
Another thing that we like about this scope is it has a single twist eyepiece replacement construction. You can switch between eyepieces without fumbling with this tool.
Low light performance
For those who have the money to invest, this spotting scope is the perfect gear for low light conditions. Its 80 mm objective lens gathers more light than other spotting scopes. In comparison, this 80 mm lens gets 66% more light than a regular 62 mm scope. That’s value for money if you’re going to ask us.
Overall, this scope is a champ in low light performance. We’ve tried several scopes before, and this is, by far, one of the best during dusk and dawn. We can see the subjects clearly, thanks to the maximized light transmission and contrast.
Build and appearance
Next, we also like how rugged and solid this spotting scope is. It has a slanted, rather than an angled, eyepiece design. Its lens has a 45-degree slant, just right for comfortable viewing. Its body is made of magnesium alloy with unbeatable waterproofing and fog-proofing specs. Such a slant angle is ideal for watching treetop activity or observing from a back porch. It’s also ideal if you’re sharing your scope with other people with varying heights.
Aside from that, this scope has a durable rubber armor all over its metal casing. It also has a tripod collar. Thanks to its 1.25-inch eyepiece slot, you can get ultra-deep perception and larger images. This fixes the unpleasant tunnel effect of many scopes on the market.
We also appreciate that this scope has less compacting on the light shaft. Although it’s large, we can say that the specs justify its dimensions.
This scope is also equipped with a retractable and self-storing lens that gives an excellent photographic contrast. There’s also a sightline molded on at the top of the scope. This helps in focusing on targets faster and easier.
Through this, you can locate birds then switch to observing the subjects with just an inch of head movement.
Adjustments on this Gosky scope are totally a breeze. There’s a collet-type ring lock that keeps the eyepiece in place. It’s sturdy and holds the eyepiece strongly, but it allows replacements in a single twist. There’s also a groove on the eyepiece barrel that can fit a pin.
Aside from that, this scope has an extra-long and ribbed focusing knob. This allows the users to move their focus from the horizon and up to 19 feet in close focus.
When it comes to its casing, the rubber armor is well-built and gives a shock-proof benefit. It’s also tripod ready and compatible with standard ¼”-20 thread bolts. There’s even an extra hole if you’re planning to use a tripod with a video stabilizing pin. This is also compatible with 3/8” European tripods.
Weight and size
As for its weight, the Gosky is 1,400 grams. As compared to other scopes of the same length, this is already lightweight. It’s 15.6 inches long, 4.7 inches wide, and 3.9 inches thick. It’s rugged and lightweight, the right choice for most outdoorsmen out there.
This lightweight scope is filled with nitrogen that also prevents fungus formation on humid climates. So if you’re planning to take this scope to a rainforest, you can do so with confidence.
Among the spotting scopes for sale, the Gosky is in the middle of the price range. It’s not the cheapest option, but not the most expensive either. However, if you’re on a budget, this scope can somewhat feel splurgy.
Nevertheless, we can say that its price is totally worth it, given its features. You’ll get a scope that performs well under low light conditions. Also, it’s made to endure harsh conditions. Regardless if you’re bird watching, nature observing, or glassing, this scope is a great choice.
- High magnification: With a zoom range of 20-60x, this spotting scope allows you to see distant objects in great detail.
- Large objective lens: The 80mm objective lens gathers a lot of light, making it ideal for low-light conditions.
- Includes a tripod: The tripod included with this spotting scope is sturdy and provides a stable base for the scope.
- Good value: The Gosky 20-60×80 Spotting Scope is relatively affordable compared to other spotting scopes with similar features.
- Heavy: The Gosky 20-60×80 Spotting Scope weighs over 3 pounds, making it somewhat heavy and bulky to carry around.
Who should use this scope?
Overall, the Gosky 20-60×80 is perfect for birders and observers. It’s ideal for distance observation and finding targets. If you’re shooting, this scope might be good for you, but with some reservations due to its size.
Aside from that, drivers and short-sighted users will also find this useful on some occasions. If you’re not looking for very specific features, this Gosky spotting scope reviews is a great all-around gear for your outdoor outings.
The Gosky 20-60×80 is a powerhouse spotting scope. It has the best low light performance and rugged build made for the outdoors. And with its eyepiece versatility, you can achieve more distance with this tool.
What do you think of this Gosky spotting scope reviews? Do you have something to add? Let us know!
- Variable 20x to 60x magnification and dynamic lens focusing system - makes it easy to zoom in on target. Perfect for target shooting, archery, hunting, bird watching, wildlife watching, hiking, camping, scenery, outdoor sporting, astronomical observation etc
- Fully multi-coated 80mm green film objective lens provides a field of view at 82.9-48ft/1000yards. The quality BAK4 Porro prism optics increases light transmission and make your view brighter, clearer and delivers crisp images.
- Nitrogen filled waterproof and fog-proof design enables the scope to withstand the toughest environments. Durable Framework and Rubber Armor provide non-slip grip, shock-proof grip and durable external lasting protection. The eyepiece shield can be stretched out to protect the eyepiece
- A smartphone digiscoping adapter included enables you to take photos and videos of what you have observed. Bring the nature closer to you and you can explore the distant world easily through the phone screen. A tripod provides you a more stable observation from any angles. A carry case, eyepiece and lens protection covers, cleaning cloth make you more convenient to carry and maintain
- Includes tabletop full metal tripod and tripod mount for steady observations. The carry case, eyepiece and lens protection covers, cleaning cloth make you more convenient to carry and maintain.