If you are planning to purchase a brand new TV, especially a 4K TV, then here are a few things to look for when buying 4K TV in 2018. Year by year, manufacturers and brands produce new models of products. The same thing can be said in the industry of televisions.
Just like smartphones, where we get new models every year like the first generation of Apple iPhone to Apple iPhone X, or the first generation of Samsung Galaxy S to Samsung Galaxy S9. The cycle of technological evolution and advancement also occurs in the television industry.
Now that it’s 2018, we wrote a simple guide that can help you in your journey on looking for the right 4K Smart TV for you. Here are a few things that you need or must look for when purchasing a brand new 4K TV in 2018.
Things To Look For When Buying 4K TV in 2018 – Part 1
When purchasing or planning to buy a brand new 4K TV, one should know its features and offerings. Consumers also need to understand how these features work or what they actually do. To be able to make the most out of your budget for a 4K TV, you need to make sure you know what you are looking for.
The biggest mistake that anyone could make when purchasing a 4K TV is being convinced to purchase a TV because it’s from a certain popular brand. Say, someone, tells you “Hey, this TV is from Brand X. This should be quality overall”. If you bought that explanation and believed it, then there’s a high possibility that you just made the biggest mistake that you might regret later on. You might then end up purchasing a 3 years old 4K TV. That’s totally bummer and no one wants that.
So, if you’re purchasing a 4K TV in 2018, here are a few things that you must know and do to make sure you get the absolute value for your money:
- Research via the Internet — In this generation of 2018, the internet is the biggest and best weapon you can use. Say, you found a specific model while browsing through one of your favourite stores. Example, I find that this LG UK6300 4K TV is interesting. A quick Google search about this UK6300 4K TV with its specific model number can give you more information about it. If you want to know more about that TV, adding the word “Review” on your Google search will result to a list of websites and videos that had a hand on experience with that specific TV. You can also read more about that the LG UK6300 4K TV by reading our review of it here.
- Look at the Specification — The product specification mostly tells it all. If not all, you can always go a quick Google research about it. Don’t ignore the specification. If you don’t understand what it says, a simple Google of the words that you don’t understand will bring wonders and knowledge for yourself too.
Things To Look For When Buying 4K TV in 2018 – Part 2
In this section, we will list our recommended specs that you must look for when buying a 4K TV. This guide is generated from the best of our knowledge and experience. Especially for those that have a very tight budget in mind.
What To Look For When Buying 4K TV in 2018
Support for Multi HDR Platforms
In the television industry, the year 2018 is all about HDR or High Dynamic Range. The term was mostly used in photography but is now widely used in televisions as well. HDR refers to a technique that heightens a picture’s dynamic range. Resulting in a wider range of both contrast and colour significantly.
The brightness is also enhanced by making the bright parts of the picture much brighter. This then results in pictures that have more “depth.” The colours also get a wider range that results in more bright blues, greens, reds and everything in between. So basically, look for a 4K TV that features at least an HDR10 & HLG support.
VA Display Panel
For LED TVs, we highly recommend looking for TVs that features a VA display panel. Stay away from TVs that has TN panel. IPS panel is also a good choice but for a much better picture quality in terms of overall performance, a VA display panel is to go for. VA panels are capable of producing better contrast, brightness, and better blacks than a TN or IPS. This then results in a much better colour reproduction of pictures overall. The only drawback of VA panel is its poor viewing angle.
The colours of the picture become washed out when viewed at more than 20 degrees angle from the centre. The only time that we recommend an IPS display panel is if you want a TV intended for gaming and for the entertainment of a large audience. IPS panel doesn’t suffer any colour saturation when viewed at an angle. It also has a very low input lag which is ideal for gaming.
Otherwise, if you have the budget, then we recommend going for OLED or QLED. Whichever fits your budget. Though we prefer OLED than QLED 4K TVs. Check out the LG C8 OLED below.
Direct LED (DLED)
In LED televisions, there are two types of backlighting system. Edge LED or Edge-lit and Direct LED or DLED. We highly recommend looking for TVs that features DLED. DLED or Direct Lighting is a method that places a full array of LEDs at the back of the entire screen display. This results in an improved blackness of an image, better brightness, and local dimming.
10 Bit Panel
Majority of the TVs in the market right now features an 8-bit panel. Which is the standard but if by chance you have a few budgets to spare, then we highly recommend getting a TV with a true 10-bit panel. A 10-bit panel is capable of 1.07 billion colour palette as opposed to an 8-bit colour depth of 16.7 million colours.
What is 10 Bit Panel Exactly?
A 10-bit panel is a higher form of an 8-bit panel. The main difference is that an 8-bit panel can produce 256 shades of one individual colour. Since we have 3 primary colours, that will be 256 X 256 X 256=16.7 million colours. A 10-bit panel, on the other hand, is capable of producing 1024 shades of one individual colour. That will be 1024 X 1024 X 1024=10.7 billion colours.
Looking for the best 4K TV for your money in 2018 is not a complicated thing. You just need to know and understand the terms and features that manufacturers use in their TVs. Again, Google is your best friend and a little research will keep you informed. The things that we listed in here are the latest things that most 2018 4K TV models have. Older TV models do not have such features, except for the high-end ones.
When it comes to sizes, it all comes down to personal preferences and intended budget. The same thing can be said for brands, curved or flat 4K TVs, and QLED or OLED TVs. This guide is only intended to help you make the most out of your money.
- Affordable Ultra HD 4K HDR TV Hot Deals 2018
- Best 4K Ultra HD Smart LED TV 2018 | Under £400
- Everything You Need To Know | 4K Ultra HD HDR
- Best 4K UHD TV for Gaming (PS4 Pro and Xbox One X)
- IPS 4K display; the latest ultra HD innovation is built into a distinct IPS 4K panel meaning your entertainment is viewable from any angle
- ThinQ AI; an intelligent television that brings convenience to your home: ThinQ AI TV can listen, think and give answers to your questions
- 4K active HDR; this HDR technology can adapt to a variety of HDR formats and provides scene by scene image mastering, delivering pinpoint picture reproduction: Active HDR is better HDR
- Stand dimensions (width x depth) - 848 x 216 mm and vesa dimensions - 200 x 200 mm
- True colour accuracy; allows viewers to see vivid, rich and life-like colour on TV screens