It started when I rolled out of bed, stumbled over to my washing machine with the stray clothes I’d picked up on my way over and then saw something I never wanted to see. After I threw my load in and switched it on, the washer started knocking about from side to side, “walking” after me! Worse still, it started leaking water all over my floor like a possessed appliance straight out of the gates of Hell. I unplugged it straight away and faced the sad fact: It was time to buy a new one, but which one?
After doing some research with my friends, I thought I would share it publicly to help any of you out there struggling to pick a new, hopefully, “unpossessed,” washing machine. Here’s what we came up with:
Best Washing Machine under £300
Hotpoint WMBF944P Washing Machine Aquarius 9kg Polar White
This washing machine is ideal for small families since it can handle up to 9 kilos of clothes at once. This kind of washer understands you don’t typically have much time to do laundry; that’s why it has a time-saver button to speed up a wash cycle when you’re running late. This washer also helps you save water without thinking about it with a built-in “half-load” detector that automatically minimises the water and power used for your smaller loads.
- The simple, intuitive design makes it a breeze for anyone to use.
- It doesn’t take up much space and runs very quietly so that you’ll hardly notice it’s on.
- This machine comes at a great bargain price for having a drum that’s large enough to wash a small family’s clothes.
- Although this washer has a time-saver button, some don’t like the longer wash cycles for cotton fabrics.
- You get a 10-year warranty on their parts, but if it breaks eventually, you could pay £109 in call-out charges for repairs.
- It doesn’t have all the extra features of the more-expensive washers.
- ACTIVECARE - Removes over 100 stains at just 20°C*. *Obtained on Anti Stain program (tested on Cotton) and ActiveCare option activated. Example of stains tested: pizza, coffee, pen ink, milk with cacao, bronzer, mud.
- STEAM PACK - Hygiene and freshness, in the most natural way
- RAPID | ECO - Speed up the cycle or save on energy
- STOP & ADD -Missed something? Simply Stop&Add
Best Washing Machines under £500
Hotpoint RPD8457J Ultima S-Line 8kg 1400rpm Freestanding Washing Machine White
This family friendly washing machine will be great news for you if anyone in your home has allergies because it has special features to eliminate 99.9 percent of all allergens and bacteria from your clothing. It has a reasonable price point, and the energy-efficient design can reduce your utility bills by 20 percent too.
- This washer has an anti-allergy wash cycle that runs at higher temperatures to get your linens extra clean during flu season or bad weather.
- Stains come out better with direct-injection technology that pre-mixes detergent with water before distributing the detergent evenly through your clothes.
- This washer has one of the lowest energy ratings, using just 157 kilowatts per hour.
- This washer only has a one-year manufacturer’s guarantee.
- It’s not suitable for stacking and doesn’t have a matching tumble dryer.
- The fastest “quick-wash” cycle is 30 minutes. If you spend just a little more, you could have a washer that does a faster load.
- H:850mm x W:595mm x D:605mm
- 8kg Load Capacity
- 52dB Noise Level
- Delay Timer
Best Washing Machines under £900
BoschSerie8 WAYH8790GB smart washing machine in white
This 9-kilo washer has Wi-Fi connectivity to let you control it with an app, compatible with devices running iOS 7 and later versions or with Android 4.1 and later operating systems. Besides its great functionality, we love its extra-quiet runs due to the patented “Anti-Vibration design” combined with the “Eco-Silence Drive” that makes Bosch one of the top brands.
- This washing machine works really well even on the toughest stains, even after a super-fast cycle of just 15 minutes for a quick wash.
- It’s one of the quietest washing machines available on the market, almost soundless.
- Get super-customized washes with 16 different programs to choose from and a 24-hour delay timer to help you plan ahead.
- For this selling price, many would expect the manufacturer’s guarantee to last more than just two years.
- Some have found the Wi-Fi app for this smart washer difficult to use and somewhat unreliable.
- It’s not suitable for small flats due to its size and freestanding design.
- AutoStain: removes the four most common stains.
- EcoSilence Drive: extremely energy-efficient and quiet in operation with a 10-year warranty.
- SpeedPerfect: perfectly clean in up to 65% less time.
- VarioDrum: gentle washing thanks to a unique drum structure
- Dimensions (cm) - H84.8 x W59.8 x D59
Best Washing Machines Under £1000
Maytag 3LMVWC400YW Washing Machine, 10.5 kg
This Washing Machine boasts a 10.5kg capacity and 11 different wash programs, thus giving you plenty of space and options for different types of wash loads.